If you’re looking for a new way to incorporate pears into your dessert, this Pear Chai Smoothie is where it’s at! Jessica from How Sweet Eats is making her version of a pear milkshake for a delicious winter treat.
I wait all year long for Harry & David Royal Riviera Pears. They were a staple of my childhood growing up and biting into one is like taking a big taste of nostalgia. I love how they signify the holiday season, not to mention how every single pear is absolutly perfect.
I’ve done pear pies, crisps and crumbles over the years but I wanted to try something new. I started with one of my favorite homemade spice blends: chai! It’s delicious, fragrant and will store well throughout the winter.
I caramelized the pears with butter, brown sugar and some chai spice until they were golden and soft. Once those cooled, I blended them with ice cream to make a pear pie in a glass. A caramel drizzle on the rim takes it over the top and you will forever question how you eat your next pear. It’s so delicious!
This smoothie makes for a great, simple dessert. If you’re looking for something lighter, you could try a Pear Ginger Green Smoothie instead.
Pear Chai Smoothie with Caramel
- 2 Harry & David® Royal Riviera® Pears (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chai spice mix
- pinch salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup Milk
- caramel sauce ( for drizzling)
For Chai Spice Mix:
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Chai Spice Mix:
- Mix all the spices together and store in a sealed container. You will have extras for feel free to use it in coffee, dessert or whatever you’d like!
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the pears along with the sugar, chai spice and salt. Toss to stir. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often, until the pears become caramely and soft. Let cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled pears to a blender along with the vanilla ice cream and milk. You can add a handful of ice if you like it super cold! Blend until pureed and creamy.
- Drizzle caramel sauce along the edges of your glasses. Pour the chai shake in and drizzle with extra caramel. Sprinkle with chai spice and drink!