In “Cooking up Comfort” we’re walking you through all the classics, whether you want to curl up with soup on a rainy afternoon or bake something delicious to celebrate the weekend. If you’re lucky to have any Honeybells leftover from winter, Jessica Merchant from How Sweet It Is has the perfect recipe for you. And if you you’re all out of Honeybells, don’t sweat it. They can be easily swapped out for any seasonal citrus of your choosing.
Do you know what I love about these chicken tacos? They don’t take all day in the slow cooker. If you need to leave it for eight hours? Totally fine. It will be delicious. But it can also be done in about three or four hours on the high setting.
In the slow cooker, you can switch up the flavors with whichever salsa flavor you’re feeling. I used the most delicious Harry & David Black Bean and Corn Salsa (so good!), but you can try pineapple salsa for a fruity twist that would also work perfectly with the citrus avocado salsa.
Speaking of, this citrus avocado salsa is more like a salad. It’s so good, I often find myself eating it straight out of the bowl. It’s really fabulous on top of the tacos, adding a creamy, tangy sweetness to the slightly spicy, warm chicken. The best of both worlds, in my opinion.
Chicken Tacos With Citrus Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Harry & David® salsa
- 12 yellow or white corn tortillas (for serving)
- queso fresco cheese (crumbled, for serving)
Citrus Salsa Ingredients
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 Harry & David® HoneyBell Oranges ( or another sweet citrus, segmented and chopped)
- 1 avocado (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons red onion (diced )
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped )
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- Place the chicken in your slow cooker and season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the salsa on top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. Whichever setting, cook until the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- For the citrus salsa, combine everything together in a bowl and mix. Let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- To assemble the tacos, warm the tortillas (in the oven or microwave, whichever you prefer) and fill them with a few tablespoons of the chicken.
- Top with the citrus salsa and queso fresco cheese. Serve immediately.