I love changing my spices for each season. When summer comes, it’s fresh herbs and spices like fennel, cardamom, and cilantro. Now that fall is here, my kitchen is overflowing with cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, and ginger. And with fall bringing the harvest of seasonal fruit like apples, it’s time make this cinnamon apple cake.
The recipe comes together quickly and the buttery cinnamon topping is simply delicious.
Cinnamon Apple Cake
- 8×8 baking pan
- Parchment Paper
- Wire rack for cooling
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Harry & David apples chopped
For the cinnamon topping
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the sugar glaze
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
To make the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ F.
- Grease and line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon powder, and mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, add the eggs, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined.
- Add half of the batter to the baking pan and top with the chopped apples.
- Cover the apples with the remaining batter.
To make the cinnamon topping
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter, and cinnamon until they clump together.
- Take small chunks of the cinnamon topping and sprinkle over the top of the cake batter until it’s covered.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before taking it out of the pan to cool on a wire rack.
To make the glaze
- Mix the milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Add more milk or sugar to adjust the consistency of the glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the cooled cake and serve.