In December 2013, we sent Gina a box of our famous Royal Riviera® Pears. She quickly came up with a decadent way to use our pears for a fantastic holiday dessert. Try Gina’s Cranberry Pear Crumble recipe this season and find out why our pears are the best around.
FALL 2014 UPDATE: We’re excited to announce that we are now partnering with Gina Homolka of Skinnytaste to give away copies of her new cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor. She has also graciously shared a few of her other pear recipes with us, and we’re delighted to share them with you. Visit the Skinnytaste – Harry & David partnership page today.
Royal Riviera® Pears are so sweet and juicy, you won’t have to add too much sugar or honey to sweeten up this warm, delicious fruit crumble. Paired with seasonal tart cranberries and finished with an oat-nut topping, this crumble is the perfect excuse to turn on your oven on a cold winter night, whether you’re having guests over or just need an excuse to make something sweet.
If you’re like me and love the combination of warm desserts with cold toppings—a dab of fat-free frozen yogurt on top will totally hit the spot!
Cranberry Pear Crumble Recipe
For crumble topping:
- ⅔ cup uncooked quick oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- ½ Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine pears and cranberries in a large bowl, add the orange zest, honey, cornstarch and cinnamon and pour it into the baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine the crumble topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
- Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve warm.