Summer fruit lovers rejoice — cherries are officially in season! This little stone fruit is delicious on its own, and is the sweet foundation to this easy cherry cobbler recipe with almonds.
Cobblers are desserts that consist of a fruit base and a biscuit-like topping. They can be inverted, as this cobbler is, which means the batter is poured into a warmed pan with melted butter at the bottom, and then the batter rises to the top as it bakes. The result is a fruity, buttery, pastry-like dessert that is outstanding served both warm and cold.
This cherry cobbler is made with only a handful of pantry staples and comes together incredibly quickly, making it an ideal dessert if you need to whip something up last-minute for a summer party. You could even mix the dry ingredients ahead of time. Simply keep them sealed in your pantry for quick access when a craving strikes. When you’re ready to bake, just add the milk, mix it, prepare the fruit, and pop it in the oven. You’ll be in cobbler bliss in no time.
Harry & David’s Plump-Sweet Cherries are exquisite. They have a slight tartness that, when combined with the sweet buttery cobbler topping, is completely irresistible. Use fresh cherries rather than canned or frozen in this recipe, as they will render the most flavorful result.
To prep the cherries, simply remove the stems and pits, slice them in half, and toss with granulated sugar and almond extract — the sugar will help bring out the cherries’ natural sweetness, and the extract provides a hint of umami to balance out the other flavors.
I love serving cherry cobbler warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you don’t want to eat the cobbler right away, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to four days. Whether topped with ice cream or on its own, it tastes just as good cold or at room temperature.
Easy Cherry Cobbler
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Whole milk
For cherry almond filling
- 2 cups cherries (destemmed, pitted, and sliced in half)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the butter in an 8×8 oven-safe pan and place it in the oven until the butter is melted and slightly bubbly, about 5-7 minutes.
- While the butter is melting, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in milk. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately pour the cobbler mixture into the warm pan on top of the melted butter.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix the cherries, sugar, and almond extract until the fruit is fully coated. Pour cherry mixture on top of the cobbler. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and top is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, or room temperature/cold. But always with ice cream.