John Legere, the CEO of T-Mobile, went live on Facebook this summer to cook up a delicious slow cooker Indian-inspired butter chicken recipe for his famous #SlowCookerSunday series. It utilizes Harry & David’s classic Pepper & Onion Relish. What to do for six hours while it’s cooking? Be like John and go for a run!
Indian-Inspired Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless (skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups Harry & David® Pepper and Onion Relish
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons cumin (ground )
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger (peeled and grated or finely minced)
- 1 ½ cups butternut squash (cubed )
- 3 serrano or jalapeno peppers (seeded and diced)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach or arugula (lightly packed, fresh)
- cilantro (Fresh, chopped, for garnish)
- In a large skillet (or your stovetop proof slow cooker insert), heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Toss to coat the chicken completely. Cooking in batches, add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Harry & David Pepper and Onion Relish, turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce and ginger.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken. Add the squash, chicken stock, cinnamon stick and peppers to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Ten minutes prior to serving, stir in the half and half and spinach.
- Serve with rice and chopped cilantro, if desired.