Peach pie is a summer favorite, but what do you do when you need to serve a crowd? The answer… a Peach Slab Pie. Just as tasty as the classic peach pie recipe, but bigger.
Top it with a classic lattice crust and you have a pie worthy of posing for a magazine. It’s a classic and reminds us of a simpler time when friends would gather on a porch for some sweet tea or dessert to enjoy the chirp of the summer crickets. Bring back the good ole days and serve this Peach Slab Pie from Kellie at The Suburban Soapbox at your next cookout or summer gathering.
It’s really simple to make, so don’t let the lattice crust fool you. Just roll out your dough and cut into 1 inch strips. Lay the strips across your pie and weave. It’s really easy and creates the perfect flaky topping for your sweet, tender peaches nestled inside. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top doesn’t hurt, either.
Peach Slab Pie Recipe
For the Crust:
- 5 cups all purpose flour (plus some for rolling dough)
- 2 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 sticks unsalted butter (cut into cubes and chilled)
- ½ cup cold water
For the filling:
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups fresh peaches (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until the dough becomes crumbly with pea sized pieces of dough. With the processor running, slowly add the water until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove the dough and divide into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Form each dough ball into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and position one oven rack on the bottom and one in the center.
- In a large bowl, toss the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt and peaches together to combine. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one dough disk to approximately 11 x 14 inches. Gently fit the dough into an ungreased 9 x 13 x 1 -inch sheet pan. Do not trim excess overhang.
- Pour the peach mixture into the sheet pan and spread evenly.
- Roll out the remaining dough disk to approximately 11 x 14 inches and cut into 1 inch strips. Place the dough strips on top of the pie and weave to create a lattice top. Pinch the edges of the two crusts together to seal and tuck under any overhang. Trim the excess dough with a knife.
- Brush the top of the dough with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.