Peach pie is a summer favorite, but what do you do when you need to serve a crowd? You make a peach slab pie, of course. It’s just as tasty as the classic peach pie recipe, but bigger. And isn’t bigger always better?
A peach slab pie is a classic, and it reminds us of a simpler time when friends would gather on a porch for some sweet tea or dessert while enjoying the chirp of the summer crickets. We need to bring back these good old days. You can start by serving this at your next cookout or summer gathering.
The pie is really simple to make. Just don’t let the lattice crust fool you. The lattice crust does give it a look that’s worthy enough for posing for a magazine. Perhaps even the centerfold… Just roll out your dough and cut into one-inch strips. Lay the strips across your pie and weave. It’s really easy and creates the perfect flaky topping for your sweet, tender peaches nestled inside. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top doesn’t hurt either.
Peach Slab Pie
For the crust:
- 5 cups all purpose flour (plus some for rolling dough)
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 sticks unsalted butter (cut into cubes and chilled)
- ½ cup cold water
For the filling:
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups Harry & David® Oregold® Peaches (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, and butter in a food processor and pulse until the dough becomes crumbly with pea-sized pieces of dough. With the processor running, slowly add the water until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove the dough and divide into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Form each dough ball into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and position one oven rack on the bottom and one in the center.
- In a large bowl, toss the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and peaches together to combine. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one dough disk to approximately 11 x 14 inches. Gently fit the dough into an ungreased 9 x 13 x 1 sheet pan. Do not trim excess overhang.
- Pour the peach mixture into the sheet pan and spread evenly.
- Roll out the remaining dough disk to approximately 11 x 14 inches and cut into 1-inch strips. Place the dough strips on top of the pie and weave to create a lattice top. Pinch the edges of the two crusts together to seal and tuck under any overhang. Trim the excess dough with a knife.
- Brush the top of the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.