Royal Riviera® Pears are finally back and we’re so excited for all the delicious recipes and holiday desserts starring our legendary Southern Oregon pears. This pear tart recipe doesn’t have any complicated fillings, so these sweet and juicy pears really shine when paired with cinnamon and a simple crust.
When baked, the halved pears beautifully hold their shape, which makes this the perfect dessert for the start of pear season and oh-so-beautiful for easy entertaining. This pear tart will steal the show and your guests will never know that the prep work took only minutes. We topped it off sweet peach jam to blend all the best flavors of late summer. So go ahead and invite some friends over to enjoy this tasty welcome to autumn.
Royal Riviera® Pear Tart Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature, with additional for pan)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 to 3 Harry & David® Royal Riviera® Pears (peeled, halved, and cored)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup apricot (peach, or fig jam (orange marmalade is delicious too))
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- Whipped cream (ice cream, or crème fraîche (optional for topping))
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 14-inch rectangular tart pan.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and ½ cup sugar at high speed in a large bowl. Lower speed to medium, add egg, and beat until incorporated.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and blend well. The dough will be quite soft.
- Press the dough into the pan with floured fingers to form an even crust. Arrange pear halves top to bottom with cut-side down. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Warm jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mixing until combined. Remove from heat and brush gently over the entire tart.
- Serve with choice of topping, if desired.
I ordered two gift boxes to be sent to relatives and I am hoping they were better than my box of pears. Mine looked bruised and had tough skin spots and were the smallest pears I have ever received. They didn’t look anything like all of your pictures. They didn’t even reach close to the top of each section. To make things worse they left a bitter puckered taste in your mouth. Definitely not up to Harry and David standards. Please reply.
We’re so sorry for the condition of your Royal Riviera pears, Ursula. Please send us an email at email@example.com with any order details you can provide and we’re glad to make this right! We look forward to hearing from you!
What shiipping company do you use? Fedex or UPS? I have a post office box which UPS uses. Fedex delivers to my home address.
Hi Joyce, we use FedEx. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
Tiana, Head of Social Media
How do you store the pears and how long we they staY fresh!
Thank you for your question! Your pears will arrive when not quite ripe. To ripen, keep enclosed in the box at room temperature. Check daily. They are ripe when the flesh at the base of the stem yields slightly to gentle thumb pressure. Once ripe, store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.