In “Cooking up Comfort,” we’re walking you through all the classics, whether you want to curl up with soup on a rainy afternoon or bake something delicious to celebrate the weekend. This smoky slow cooker chicken chili recipe that comes from Jessica Merchant of How Sweet Eats is the perfect way to make weeknight dinners easy.
We absolutely love chili in our house, and during the colder months, we kick our consumption of it into high hear. I, in particular, can’t get enough of it: When the temperature dips, I eat soup once a day for almost six months straight. Don’t knock it ’til you try it.
I’m constantly looking for new and exciting chili recipes and variations that I can make. I always gravitate toward a smoky, creamy-based chili with tender, pulled chicken thighs and a few different beans.
Enter the chicken chili soup mix.
I love that this chicken chili mix uses dried beans. Beans are one of my favorite foods, especially when they are made from scratch — they are so rich and delicious. And when cooked in the soup, they create a creamy texture that makes for such a lovely, thick soup.
Super flavorful, hearty, satisfying, and the perfect consistency for dipping a big hunk of cornbread…this chili is perfection!
Creamy, Smoky Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless (skinless chicken thighs)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 14- ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 4- ounce cans diced green chilies
- 1 Harry & David smoky chicken chili mix
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Finely grated cotija cheese or queso fresco
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Thinly sliced jalapeño peppers
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and sear until both sides are deeply golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and green chilies. Pour the soup mix in along with the chicken stock and stir.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Remove the chicken and shred it. (It will most likely fall apart.) Place chicken back in the pot.
- Place the half and half in a shaker bottle and add the flour. Cover and shake for 30 seconds to create a slurry.
- Stream the mixture into the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook on low for 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with lots of fixings, such as grated cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro.