“Seasonal Cooking” brings you delicious home-cooked recipes with the freshest ingredients of the season. This spring salad recipe comes from Preethi Venkatram of Cooking with Pree and complements any spring dish with seasonal produce and edible flowers from The Chef’s Garden.
This kaleidoscopic spring salad with seasonal produce like tender asparagus, green peas, and edible flowers is spring on a plate. The entire dish is covered in a simple dressing that will became a salad staple. I wanted to keep it fresh and zesty to complement the sweet peas and tender asparagus, so the dressing is a delightful combination of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mustard, fresh herbs, and honey to add sweetness.
The salad is easy to whip up and goes well as a side with your favorite meal or, with the addition of your favorite protein or grain, can be had by itself. Fresh sliced avocados are also a great addition to this spring salad.
Spring Salad with Edible Flowers
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh herbs (parsley, mint, basil – optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 3-4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 package Chef’s Garden Petite Greens with Edible Flowers
- Avocado (optional)
For the dressing
- In a glass jar, mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and shake until it is well combined.
For the salad
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Blanch the asparagus for about a minute and transfer them to an ice bath so they stop cooking further.
- In the same boiling water, blanch the peas for a minute and transfer to the ice bath.
- Remove the asparagus and peas from the ice bath and allow them to dry.
- Slice the radish using a mandolin on its thinnest setting.
- Remove the flowers from the greens before adding the latter to a large bowl.
- Add the blanched asparagus, peas, and sliced radish to the greens.
- Add the dressing and toss to cover everything.
- Garnish with the edible flowers and serve immediately.