With a focus on fine meats and seafood, and how to cook them, our series “A Cut Above” will guide you to become the ultimate grill master. These simple teriyaki and pineapple chicken skewers are the perfect way to ease into grilling season. Created by Lauren Grier from The Curious Plate, these skewers strike up a sweet and spicy balance with the addition of charred pineapple relish.
The best part about skewers threaded with juicy cuts of meat, vegetables, or fruit is that they make for versatile summer grilling. The second-best part is not having to mess with a sink full of dirty dishes — that makes me want to break into a happy dance.
Some seasonal favorites are rounds of summer squash smooshed between sweet cherry tomatoes and rich, tender cubes of lamb or beef. And dark meat chicken thighs are fantastic when paired with peach or apricot wedges — the natural sugars caramelize, deepening the sweetness of the fruit.
In this recipe for grilled teriyaki and pineapple chicken skewers, you’ll thread teriyaki sauce-marinated chicken breasts with onions and fresh, bright summer peppers. The salty and umami flavors in the chicken get a pop of sticky-sweet glory when you glaze them with charred pineapple relish. Keep extra relish on hand for dipping chips, or use it as a stellar burger topping.
Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Pineapple Relish
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- bottle of your favorite teriyaki dressing
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 1 red onion (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 1 jar Harry & David Charred Pineapple Relish (for garnish)
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large plastic container fitted with a lid, add the cubed chicken and teriyaki dressing, and cover. Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours to overnight for better results.
- Preheat your grill.
- Thread the chicken on the skewers along with the peppers and red onion.
- Grill the chicken skewers for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove the skewers from the grill and place on a serving platter.
- Garnish each skewer with Harry & David Charred Pineapple Relish and fresh parsley.