In “Cooking up Comfort” we’re walking you through all the classics, whether you want to curl up with soup on a rainy afternoon or bake something delicious to celebrate the weekend. This mouthwatering Bacon Grilled Cheese recipe from Nick Evans of Macheesmo makes for a quick and easy meal. With the addition of Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish, you may want to make more than one.
Everyone loves a good grilled cheese, but this recipe puts a fun twist on America’s most beloved sandwich. Even though it has just a few ingredients, this Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese is packed with amazing flavors. The trick is simple: just slather on one of my favorite condiments, Harry & David Pepper & Onion Relish.
This relish is the perfect addition to any recipe. You can use it liberally on a grilled cheese because it has a great thick consistency that stays put on your sandwich. Not to mention, the flavors go perfectly with the crispy bacon and cheddar to add some sweet and savory onion flavor to the sandwich.
I recommend baking the bacon so the strips stay crispy which will make sandwich assembly even easier. And, of course, stock up on a few jars of Pepper & Onion Relish to keep in your pantry. You’ll immediately boost your grilled cheese game! If you have any relish leftover, use it on any of these seven delicious recipes.
Bacon Grilled Cheese With Pepper and Onion Relish
- 4 slices sturdy bread (like sourdough)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 to 6 slices crispy bacon
- 3 to 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Harry & David Classic Pepper & Onion Relish
For the bacon (in advance)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lay out bacon on a baking sheet and bake until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon and let it drain on a few paper towels.
For the sandwich
- Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each piece of bread. Add one slice of bread, butter side down, to a sturdy skillet over medium-low heat. Smear bread with about two tablespoons of Pepper & Onion Relish. Top with two to three strips of crispy bacon. Then cover with sliced cheddar cheese and add the other piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook the sandwich for about 3 minutes per side until the sandwich is nicely toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat these steps with the second sandwich, or if you have a large enough skillet you can cook both at once.
- Finally, slice the sandwich and serve immediately.