One of my earliest food memories includes a chocolate-covered strawberry. My mom and I had one at the candy counter at the mall (when those still existed!) after a long day of shopping. I didn’t even want to try it, but she insisted. And to this day, it remains one of the best things I’ve ever tasted.
Inspired by that moment, this chocolate mouse may be one of the best things you ever tasted. It’s silky smooth and sprinkled with crushed freeze-dried strawberries. The whole thing is finished with a huge, juicy, fantastic chocolate-covered strawberry. One spoonful and you’ll never ask for a cherry on top again.
Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Strawberries
- Electric stand mixer
- Sauce pan
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate (split in half)
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1 box Shari’s Berries Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat until pale yellow and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan until warm.
- With the mixer on medium speed, slowly drizzle in half the warm cream (then place pan back on stove) and beat with the yolks until combined. Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and stir for 5 minutes, until thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in half the chopped chocolate. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, stirring often.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and beat with stand mixer on medium-high until soft peaks form and it resembles whipped cream. Fold the remaining chopped chocolate into the whipped cream until it is a smooth chocolate mousse. Spoon it into 4 bowls.
- Crush the freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor or in a zipper storage bag until they are in powder form. Place them in a sifter and gently sift the strawberry powder onto the chocolate mousse.
- Top with a chocolate-covered strawberry and serve!