Our series “From Scratch” features baking recipes that are easy as pie. This recipe for a gorgeous red wine truffle cake comes from Bianca Dodson of Lenox Bakery. Elevate your next dessert experience with a chocolate and wine pairing mixed into a luxurious cake topped with rich chocolate truffles.
Chocolate cake is my absolute favorite dessert to make. In addition to being delicious, chocolate cakes are fairly simple to make and can be whipped up in a pinch. The best part? You need only one bowl to mix everything together.
This red wine chocolate truffle cake is the ultimate decadent dessert to make year round. Four layers of moist chocolate cake, topped with ganache and a layer of creamy fudgy chocolate frosting…what’s not to love? It’s perfect for any occasion, and your guests will rave about it long after the last bite.
Harry & David Cabernet Sauvignon or Ross Lane Red provides the perfect flavor to this cake. Both of these wines are full bodied with delicious fruity notes, which really draw out the earthy nature of the chocolate. Using the wine adds a ton of flavor and brings a degree of sophistication to the cake.
To really give this cake the wow factor, I used Harry & David chocolate truffles to decorate the top. The truffles are handcrafted and luscious, and make the perfect addition to this beautiful cake.
Red Wine Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 2 9-inch round cake pans
For the ganache filling
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
For the icing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 5 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ cup Whole milk (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add eggs, oil, water, and wine, and whisk until just combined. Add sour cream and whisk until fully combined. Be sure not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 9-inch cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat heavy cream in 20-second increments until hot but not boiling. Add chopped chocolate and let sit 5 minutes, then stir. Place in the refrigerator to chill while the cake is baking.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the softened butter and powdered sugar for about 2 minutes. Add cocoa powder, milk, vanilla, and salt, and mix for 5 minutes until fully combined. If the frosting is too stiff, add an additional tablespoon of milk.
- To assemble the cake, cut each 9-inch cake in half to make 4 layers. Lay the first cake layer on your cake plate and spread a thin layer of ganache over it. Next, dollop icing over the ganache, then spread evenly. Repeat for the other 2 layers. Add the last cake layer and use the remaining frosting for the sides and top of the cake.
- Add Harry and David truffles to the top of the cake for a beautiful finish.