These pear waffles from Jessica at How Sweet Eats make the perfect quick Christmas breakfast. Roasted cinnamon Royal Riviera Pears top warm, spiced waffles for a holiday breakfast every family member will want to turn into your new Christmas morning tradition.
There’s nothing better than a classic, comforting meal on a cold winter morning. The holiday season is filled with so many good memories of family and food, why not make one more? Christmas waffles fit the bill of classic and comforting, and pears are a traditional way to celebrate the holidays. Together, they make a delicious Christmas morning tradition that’s hard to beat!
Christmas morning traditions are some of the most special. I still remember what my mom made every Christmas morning. My goal is to start a breakfast tradition that everyone in my family remembers too–one that we can all look forward to. These waffles are it.
These spiced waffles come studded with flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and vanilla. Their fluffy, cloud-like texture makes them the perfect base for serving syrupy, cinnamon pears. Royal Riviera Pears caramelize with a bit of brown sugar to create the most delicious waffle topping. It’s like a faux pear compote, quickly thrown together on a chilly morning and enjoyed with waffles, extra powdered sugar, and too much coffee. It sounds like the kind of Christmas breakfast we should all be enjoying!
Spiced Waffles with Cinnamon Pears
For the Waffles:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
For the Pear Topping:
- 3-4 Harry & David® Royal Riviera® Pears (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until a batter starts to form. Stir in the melted butter until combined.
- Heat your waffle iron to the desired setting. Once hot, make your waffles according to the iron’s directions.
- Serve the waffles immediately, topping with cinnamon pears and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
- Once melted, add the pears and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes, just until the pears soften slightly.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir and toss gently.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the pears are syrupy, caramely, and soft.
- Serve immediately on top of your waffles.