“Seasonal Cooking” brings you delicious home-cooked recipes with the freshest ingredients of the season. These delicious chicken bowls from Liz Harris of Floating Kitchen combine honey lime chicken and grilled Oregold peaches for a sweet and savory dinner.
I look forward to Oregold peaches from Harry & David every year. They’re the juiciest peaches I’ve ever eaten. I typically have a long list of dessert recipes that I can’t wait to make with them, but this year I wanted to try them in a savory recipe (it’s hard to beat freshly grilled peaches). I tossed a few on the grill, combined them with chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, basil, and orzo, and voila! The perfect dinner for a hot summer evening.
The secret to these chicken bowls is that the peach dressing and marinade are a two-for-one recipe. The fresh lime juice and balsamic vinegar add extra acidity that plays perfectly with the sweet honey and tenderness of the chicken. I used orzo for the base of the bowl, but any small pasta, such as ditalini or mini farfalle, will work. You can also substitute rice or quinoa for a gluten-free option.
While the orzo cooks, grill the chicken breasts and peach wedges. The peaches only take a couple minutes to cook, so don’t walk away from them once you put them on the grill grates. You want them to get slightly softened and caramelized in a few places but still be firm enough to retain their shape.
The bowls are finished with the grilled peaches for extra summer sweetness and then drizzled with more dressing to give you a burst of fresh peach flavor with every bite.
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken and Peach Bowls
For the dressing/marinade
- ¼ cup lime juice (fresh-squeezed)
- lime zest (1 whole lime)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Harry & David® Oregold® Peach (washed, pitted, and chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the bowls
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups uncooked orzo
- 2 Harry & David® Oregold® Peaches (washed, pitted, and sliced into wedges)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved )
- 2 small-medium cucumbers (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup corn kernels (from about 1 ear of corn)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves (torn)
- Kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
For the dressing/marinade
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing/marinade to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer a 1/2 cup of the mixture to a clean bowl.
- Cover and place it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
For the bowls
- Add the chicken breasts to a large zip-closure bag and pour in the remaining dressing/marinade blend.
- Seal the bag, pushing out any excess air, and place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cook the orzo until al dente according to the package instructions.
- Drain the orzo and add it to a large bowl.
- While the orzo is still warm, stir in about 1/4 cup of the reserved dressing/marinade. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high, about 400° F.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the bag, discarding the dressing/marinade left in the bag, and place them on the grill.
- Grill the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until it is cooked all the way through and the internal temperature reads 160-165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place it on a clean plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the peach wedges to a wide bowl or baking dish.
- Drizzle the peaches with the olive oil, turning to coat, and then drizzle them with the honey.
- Place the peaches on the grill and cook them 1 to 2 minutes per side or just until they start to soften and develop a few grill marks.
- Return the grilled peaches to the baking dish.
To assemble the bowls
- Divide the orzo between 4 bowls.
- Top with the grilled chicken, grilled peaches, halved tomatoes, chopped cucumber, corn kernels, and fresh basil.
- Drizzle the remaining reserved dressing/marinade over the bowls.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Enjoy immediately.