“Seasonal Cooking” brings you delicious home-cooked recipes with the freshest ingredients of the season. This HoneyBell Citrus Spinach Salad recipe comes to us from Kelly Hemmerly, author of The Suburban Soapbox.
Cushman’s HoneyBells are the perfect companion to sweet strawberries in this version of the classic spinach salad. HoneyBells are juicy and sweet with less acidity than a navel orange, and vibrant flavor will shine in any dish.
This salad is easy to make and is great as a light lunch, dinner, or as the stunning centerpiece to any brunch spread.
HoneyBell, Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Citrus Dressing
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp.
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Pour the bacon fat into a small saucepan and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, add the spinach, orange segments, strawberries, mushrooms, and onion.
- Toss to combine all ingredients.
- Heat the bacon fat over low heat and whisk in the HoneyBell juice, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Crumble the bacon over the salad and sprinkle with the pistachios and serve immediately.