Whether it’s a busy weeknight, a friend’s decided to stay for dinner, or you simply don’t want to cook, sometimes The recipes in our series “Homemade Gourmet” take the thought and time out of cooking without sacrificing their flavor or gourmet appeal. Everyone loves a good breakfast sandwich. These mini brekkie sandies featuring sausage, scrambled eggs, and Gruyère cheese will take your mornings up several notches.
A sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich ? whether on a bagel or English muffin ? is synonymous with breakfast, or brekkie, as they say in Australia. Our version of this morning classic uses Wolferman’s super-thick sourdough mini muffins. Along with cheesy eggs and some secret sauce for extra kick, these are the perfectly-sized morning sandwiches.
Start out with award-worthy handmade sausage patties, top them with rich scrambled eggs with Gruyère cheese, and add a bit of heat with a homemade sriracha mayo. The key to getting fluffy and luscious eggs is medium-low heat and butter (because butter makes everything butter, we mean better). And a spatula, which might be the secret ingredient. Make sure you’re pushing the eggs into and out of the middle of the skillet to form curds, then finish the eggs with a sweep around the edge of the skillet.
One bite and you’ll start setting your alarm extra early to make this delicious breakfast sandwich. They might be mini, but they’re big on flavor.
Mini Brekkie Sandies
Mini Sausage Patties:
- 1 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage (finely chopped )
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (finely chopped )
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces coarsely ground pork (not lean; preferably from pork shoulder)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese (grated)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh )
- 8 Wolferman’s San Francisco-Style Sourdough Mini Muffins split (toasted)
To make mini sausage patties:
- In a medium bowl, mix garlic, sage, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Add pork and mix until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture for at least 15 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1 ounce each) and form into patties that are slightly wider than English muffins.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, then pork patties, and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until browned on both sides and just cooked through.
- Set patties aside in a warm place while cooking eggs.
To make scrambled eggs:
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt until well-blended.
- Heat medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Melt butter and add egg mixture.
- Leave eggs untouched for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs and, using a silicone spatula, begin stirring to create curds of egg.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until cheese melts and eggs are just set but still creamy.
- Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, hot sauce, and lemon juice.
- Spread cut sides of Wolferman’s San Francisco-Style Sourdough Mini Muffins tops and bottoms with mayonnaise mixture.
- Place one patty on each bottom.
- Divide scrambled eggs among sandwiches.
- Place tops on sandwiches and serve.