Come with us “Behind the Bar” to learn about classic cocktails, how to pair drinks with food, and top-shelf recipes for shaking up some potent potables of your own! This fun Paloma cocktail recipe comes from Lauren Grier of The Curious Plate. A mix of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice from Harry & David grapefruits, lime simple syrup, and tequila makes the perfect cocktail to celebrate any special occasion.
Warm weather is on the horizon. I don’t know about you, but the thought of sitting in the sunshine with a refreshing cocktail after months of cold weather brings a smile to my face.
The cocktail I’ll be enjoying this spring (and maybe into the summer) is this delightful grapefruit lime paloma. It’s the poster child for warm weather, made with lime simple syrup, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and a splash of tequila. Finish it off with a garnish of grapefruit and lime wedges, and you have a spring-themed drink that’s both pretty and delicious.
The paloma, which is the national drink of Mexico, is similar to a margarita, with a few differences. They both contain tequila and lime juice, but the margarita has triple sec and Cointreau, whereas a paloma has grapefruit juice and sparkling water, making it less sweet.
Grapefruit Lime Paloma
- Microplane (for lime zest)
For the lime simple syrup
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
For the paloma
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 cup grapefruit juice (2 Harry & David grapefruits, juiced)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sparkling lime soda
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- Grapefruit wedges (for garnish)
To make the lime simple syrup
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the mixture into another heat-proof container to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the lime juice and lime zest.
To make the cocktail
- Add the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and lime simple syrup to a large pitcher and stir.
- Fill four cocktail glasses with ice. Divide the mixture among the cocktail glasses, filling each glass three-fourths of the way, leaving room for the sparkling lime soda.
- Top each glass with the soda. Garnish with lime and grapefruit slices.