Warm up with a mug of peppermint bark hot chocolate. “Two Peas and Their Pod” blogger and Cookie Cravings cookbook author Maria Lichty shares her festive holiday recipe.
Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I love decorating the Christmas tree, baking cookies, singing carols and gift giving. I am not very good at wrapping presents, though. I usually end up with too much or too little paper. The paper is never smooth, and I can’t tie a bow for the life of me. I usually buy gift bags or purchase gifts that are already wrapped.
I love buying specialty food gifts from Harry & David because they are packaged perfectly and always have a big, beautiful bow. Plus, everyone loves a gift from Harry & David. They have something for everyone. I am currently loving Santa’s Sleigh of Goodies. The burlap-covered sleigh comes packed with wrapped gifts from Santa. The goodies include irresistible Moose Munch® Popcorn, peppermint bark made from scratch, dark chocolate grahams, gourmet chocolate cherries and milk chocolate mini mints.
Santa’s Sleigh of Goodies makes a great Christmas gift for families, anyone and everyone…including yourself. I always order an extra for our family to enjoy. We love munching on the treats while we watch holiday movies or sit by the tree. I also love using the peppermint bark to make peppermint bark hot chocolate.
I add Harry & David® peppermint bark to homemade hot chocolate. It makes the hot chocolate extra special. I love the minty kick! I also add whipped cream and a candy cane on the side. The peppermint bark hot chocolate is rich, decadent, and festive!
Peppermint Bark Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 4 cups Milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 pieces Harry & David peppermint bark
- Whipped cream
- Chopped peppermint bark (for garnish)
- 5 candy canes (for garnish)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Add water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk and warm over medium heat; don’t boil.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- Whisk until frothy.
- Place a piece of peppermint bark in the bottom of a mug.
- Pour hot chocolate over bark.
- Garnish with whipped cream, chopped peppermint bark, and a candy cane on the side.
- Serve Immediately.
The holidays are all about family, and nothing brings all the generations together like food! In Homespun Holidays we explore recipes perfect for new family traditions, shareable plates for your next holiday get-together, and small-batch desserts and sides for more intimate gatherings.