The classic apple crisp recipe just got easier with the help of your trusty slow cooker. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream (oh, what the heck, have both!), this quintessential fall dish is perfect for entertaining or a cozy night in.
Peeled and diced Harry & David apples are tossed with a blend of spices before they’re combined with a cup of grated apple. This creates the perfect apple crisp filling as the grated apple releases more of the pectin (a fiber used to make jams) in the apple, which soaks up the extra juice from the diced apples.
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
- 5 pounds apples (peeled, cored, and diced)
- 1 cup grated apple
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled and cut into cubes)
- In a large bowl, toss together diced apples, grated apple, sugar, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Combine thoroughly, and pour the mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt.
- Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the oat mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the apple mixture in the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for four hours on high or seven hours on low, until the crust is a golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream.