The holidays are all about family, and nothing brings all the generations together like food! In “Homespun Holidays,” we explore recipes perfect for new family traditions, shareable plates for your next holiday get-together, and small-batch desserts and sides for more intimate gatherings. This recipe for a Scone Cobbler Bar from Vanessa Parish of Sweet Comfort is perfect to serve on a holiday morning. And can be prepared overnight for a quick and easy treat to delight all ages.
Last minute shopping, decorations, wrapping presents, setting up the guest room for your in-laws. There are so many things to do this holiday season that it can be difficult to make time for the most important meal of the day. What you need is a holiday breakfast that makes feeding the family easy like Sunday morning. What you need are scone cobbler bars.
These bars have a base of Wolferman’s scones and a layer of fresh fruit covered by Harry & David scone mix. For my fresh fruit, I chose cranberries and Granny Smith apples because of their tart flavor and great texture. This is my favorite flavor combination for these bars, but other holiday flavors like pears, persimmons, or even citrus are delicious too.
For the crumble, I used Wolferman’s strawberry and currant scones. They’re my favorite, but the wild blueberry and citrus cranberry scones are a very close second. Harry & David Old Fashioned Scone Mix makes a quick and easy cobbler topping for these bars. Simply add a bit of vanilla and chopped pecans for an amazing crunch. Layer your fruit on top of your crumbled scones followed by your scone mix and pop it in the oven.
Once your bars have cooled, dust them with a bit of festive powdered sugar and cut and serve. They pair great with Wolferman’s preserves like blueberry or strawberry.
Holiday Breakfast Scone Cobbler Bar
- 2 Wolferman’s Bakery Scones (Strawberry, Currant, Wild Blueberry or Cranberry Orange)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries (thaw and drain if frozen)
- 2 Granny Smith apples (diced)
- 2 tablespoons apple pie spice (or 1 teaspoon each of ground allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ packet Harry & David® Old Fashioned Scone Mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- powdered sugar (for serving)
- Wolferman’s Bakery preserves (strawberry or blueberry)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
For the scone crumble
- In a medium bowl, crumble your favorite Wolferman’s Bakery scones. Add flour and egg, mix until incorporated. Mixture should be crumbly. Set aside and prepare filling.
For the apple-cranberry filling
- In a medium bowl, add cranberries and apples. Mix in spices, sugars, and cornstarch. Set aside and prepare cobbler topping.
For the scone cobbler topping
- In a small bowl, mix together scone mix, vanilla extract, and pecans. Add water and mix until the batter is smooth but not too fluid. Add more water if necessary one tablespoon at a time.
Assemble the bars
- Grease an 8×8 casserole dish. Spoon the scone crumble into the dish and lightly press crumble together. Do not press too firmly or it’ll lose it’s fun crumbly texture — and who doesn’t love fun? Any small spaces will fill during baking.
- Scoop the apple-cranberry filling on top of the crumble leaving the liquid behind.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cobbler topping onto the fruit and lightly smooth it out. A few lumps are OK. They give the bars a more rustic appeal.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is brown and fruit juice has thickened. Wrap a few presents while you’re waiting. (The holiday are all about multitasking.)