Taco nights are a favorite in my house. These vegetarian tacos with a creamy cilantro avocado sauce hit all the right notes and come together in less than 40 minutes.
The Harry & David produce box comes with seasonal vegetables that are so beautiful and full of color that you almost feel sorry for slicing them up. The baby sunchokes, baby zucchini, and sunburst squash instantly caught my eye immediately because you don’t often see them in the markets — and they’re perfect for tacos.
It’s such an easy dish to put together, and it’s great for a quick weeknight dinner.
For the sauce
- ½ avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ can diced green chilies (mild, use spicy ones if you prefer more heat)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (packed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup mayo (sour cream, or Greek yogurt)
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil ( or olive oil)
- ¼ cup boiler onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup baby sunchokes (diced)
- 1 cup baby zucchinis (diced)
- 1 cup baby sunburst squash (diced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- ½ can diced green chilies (mild, optional)
- ½ cup corn
- 1 can black beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped )
- 10 yellow or white corn tortillas
- 1 diced avocado
- fresh cilantro (chopped )
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija ( or your favorite cheese)
- Lime juice or lime wedges
To make the sauce
- Blend all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or food processor. Adjust salt and lime juice to taste.
To make the taco filling
- Heat oil in a skillet, add the minced garlic and sliced onions, and sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables, seasonings, and diced green chilies, and sauté on high heat until the vegetables are cooked through but not too soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the corn, black beans, and chopped cilantro, and mix.
- Set aside.
- Heat the corn tortillas on the stove, and place the vegetable and bean filling in the middle of the tortilla.
- Add the cilantro avocado sauce, diced avocados, chopped cilantro, and crumbled cotija cheese, and serve with lime wedges on the side.