Our series “From Scratch” features baking recipes that are easy as pie. Layers of crisp ladyfingers, fluffy whipped cream, and tart Harry & David Lemon Curd form the perfect combination for this lemon parfait by Bianca Dodson of Lenox Bakery.
Every year when Mother’s Day rolls around I plan a delicious brunch for my amazing mom. It’s a small token of my appreciation for her being the best mom to me and my sisters, and the best grandmother to my son and nephew.
The dessert course typically falls to me, and my go-to are parfaits. They’re quick to make and are the perfect dessert for the warmer months. In fact, parfaits originated in France, and the word “parfait” means “perfect” in French. How ’bout that?!
Plus, my mom absolutely loves them. She generally packs two to go: one for the ride home and the other for her dessert after dinner.
Making the lemon parfaits
Parfaits come in several variations. Many have a cookie or cake base and are layered with a custard or cream. These individual lemon parfaits have only four ingredients: Harry & David Lemon Curd, ladyfinger cookies, lemon zest, and homemade whipped cream.
Each ingredient contributes to this dessert’s unique flavor and texture. The lemon curd is tart, sweet, and silky, while the ladyfingers provide a well-balanced crunch. Layered between the lemon curd and cookies is the fluffy whipped cream, and the whole thing is topped with a touch of bright lemon zest that adds a layer of citrus.
Lemon Curd Parfait
- 4 serving glasses
- Stand mixer
- Microplane (for zesting)
For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the lemon parfaits
- 8-10 ladyfingers
- 1 jar Harry & David lemon curd
- Whipped cream
- Zest of one lemon
To make the whipped cream
- Place heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer. Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the whipped cream in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the parfaits
- Grab four serving glasses and place a layer of broken ladyfingers at the bottom of each.
- Layer a generous dollop of whipped cream over the cookies, followed by a very generous layer of lemon curd.
- Break additional ladyfingers into bite-size pieces and layer over the lemon curd.
- Finish by dolloping a spoonful of whipped cream onto the cookies and garnish with lemon zest.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.