I’ve never met a truffle that I didn’t like. But then again, who has? It starts with the fact that I am a chocolate-lover through and through, and ends with the truth that there is barely a dessert too rich for my sweet teeth. In fact, the richer the dessert, the better!
Truffles are one of my go-to treats for that reason. They are so decadent and the perfect bite-sized indulgent for just lounging on the couch and binge-watching any TV show. (Sorry bonbons.) And when they include fancy flavors, I get insanely excited.
I love a dark rich chocolate, but then I married someone who straight up ADORES white chocolate. My husband would choose white chocolate over milk or dark any day. And while he loves traditional desserts like chocolate chip cookies and brownies, I knew he would go crazy for white chocolate cupcakes topped with truffles. It’s like two desserts in one!
These truffles are absolutely perfect! Filled with the most delicious insides like chocolate, hazelnut, cherry (my favorite!) and orange, we nearly went through a box before I got to top the cupcakes with them. I recommend getting two boxes: one for the top of the white chocolate cupcakes and another to enjoy by themselves with cappuccinos.
If you’re looking for an out-of-the-box dessert for Valentine’s day, these are so it. They are fancier than regular cupcakes and different enough from those traditional Valentine’s desserts such as molten cakes or chocolate martinis. The frosting is my favorite part because it incorporates melted white chocolate. The truffle on top is just the icing on the cake… or the truffle on the cake. And so ridiculously wonderful. We can’t get enough!
There’s really only one thing left to ponder: Do you save the truffle for last or enjoy it first?
Truffle-Topped White Chocolate Cupcakes
For White Chocolate Cake:
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
- 1 box Harry & David White Chocolate Truffles (for topping)
- ½ cup whole milk
For White Chocolate Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 ounces white chocolate (melted and slightly cooled)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside.
- Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat it until creamy. Add the sugar and beat with the butter on high speed until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the egg and egg white, mixing well on medium speed until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Add in the oil and vanilla extract, beating on medium speed for another minute.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in half of the white chocolate.
- Pour in the milk. Add in the other half of the white chocolate and mix on medium speed until the batter is combined.
- Fill the liners up 2/3 of the way with the batter. Bake until the tops are set and golden, about 18 to 20 minutes.
For White Chocolate Frosting:
- Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until creamy and combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the melted white chocolate.
- Add in the sugar. Beat until the sugar is incorporated and add vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Beat the frosting on high speed for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and creamy. If the frosting seems too thick, beat in the tablespoon of milk for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with a white chocolate truffle.
Wow! This is one of the best white chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever baked! I didn’t have vegetable oil so I subbed with canola oil. The cupcakes are delicious without the frosting but the frosting puts these over the top. Great recipe!
Thank you for the recipe. I would love to try this.
This recipe is everything I was looking for. I’ve always tried to make cupcakes but all the recipes I find look complicated, but yours look simple enough and the pics are just incredible. Thank you!