Salted Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 45 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 1 hours |
For the Crust:
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (3 sticks or 24
For the Filling:
- 6 cups Harry & David sliced apples
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten for egg wash
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Combine the sugar, cream, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium
heat. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved, then let the mixture
bubble for 5 minutes.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Let stand at room temperature to thicken.
Prepare the Crust:
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse just
- In a small bowl, whisk mix together the egg, vinegar and water.
- Add the cold butter pieces into the food processor and pulse until
small coarse crumbs remain. Sprinkle the water/egg mixture over the
flour and pulse again until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough with your hands and divine it in half, then wrap it
in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Assemble the Pie:
- Add the apples to a large bowl and toss them with the sugar, flour,
cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Roll one of the pie crusts out into a 12-inch circle (if you're
using a 9-inch pie plate). Fold it in half to pick it up and gently
place it in the plate, unfolding as you go and trimming any excess
off of the edges. You can also use a fork (or another decorative
idea!) to press the edges down. Or gently press your finger in
between every inch of the crust to create a pretty ripple.
- Add the apples to the crust. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the salted
caramel on top of the apples.
- To make the lattice top, roll out the second pie crust to another
12-inch circle. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut 1-inch
strips of crust. Lay a few strips across the pie, leaving about ½
inch between strips.
- To weave the other strips in, turn the pie so it's facing the other
direction. Take each strip and weave it over and then under each
strip on the pie. Press the edges of the crust together.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover
the edges lightly with foil.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another
25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Cool completely before drizzling on extra salted caramel, slicing
Makes: 1 pie
Serves: 4-6 servings